Sunday 3 June 2012

Problem solving

1. Preparation: Identify facts
2. Production: Separate truly relevant from those that are irrelevant
3. Evaluation: Define his or her ultimate goal

Common barriers fo effective problem solving
  • Confirmation bias; trying to confirm pre-existing positions or beliefs whilst ignoring contradictory evidence
  • Availability heuristics; judging the likelihood of an event based on how readily available other instance of the event are in memory
  • Representativeness heuristics; estimating the probability of something based on how well the circumstances match a representation example or prototype
  • Functional fixedness; the tendency to view objects only for their usual customary use
  • Mental sets; persistently returning to old solutions even when they are not working now

1 comment:

  1. Hello my latest Follower ! We must have met at my stall in Newcastle, England. Heuristics is a new word to me! Once when I was a mature student of junior education 'they' made us study Piaget and I got thrown out for many reasons as I became as disruptive as any case study when I quickly realised that most of it was made up and I still have the audio tape of one lecturer's assignment on 5 year olds linguistic development in which he set up a 'Lego' building scene to camera with five children most of Asian origin, some only recently arrived in England and told to speak 'CLEARLY TO THE CAMERA'whilst discussing the design of and then constructing a building ! One spoke no words, two spoke four or five incoherent ones, one called another a "f****** C***" and the lecturer spoke 658 or thereabouts! I don't know why I was considered a trouble maker when I challenged him about it! Kind regards to you, David Nash.PS I wrote an entire essay in which I totally made up every single fact, study, quotatation and reference books and got top marks!

    ReplyDelete